Sunday 14 June 2015

Nike Toronto Women's 15 KM

Today I surprised myself, and I ran the furthest I've ever been thus far. It began with a 4:45 alarm and a departure time of 6:15 from my house. I wanted to give myself lots of time to get on the ferry today. Because cramming more than 10'000 women plus spectators wasn't going to be a breeze to get through.

I got to Toronto shortly after 7 and found a public parking lot for $15.00. I didn't think it was a terrible price for being close and easy. The price you pay for your priorities. Anyways, I was on my way to the Ferry Dock lineup. When I got there, there were about 8 rows of lineups that seemed to be never ending. I will give Nike a big pat on the back (clearly they've done this before) because I didn't wait much longer than 20 minutes to get on a boat and make my journey across the lake. Good job Nike for the organization!

The ferry ride wasn't that long, maybe about 10-15 minutes or so. I booted it to the washroom as soon as I got there instead of finding prime seating. Prioritize.

When all of us got off the boat we were greeted with welcome signs and volunteers to guide us the right way to the start. Right at the entrance there were washrooms, whose lineups weren't THAT bad., but they were still pretty long. Luckily my stomach was playing nice today. Even with having pains in my stomach at midnight and 3 am.


Since it was early, about 8 ish, by the time I got to the island and situated I dilly dallied around and got myself to bag check. I waited outside the tent on the lawn for a while where there were food trucks and washrooms, but I don't eat before races, and I didn't have any company with me so I just sat with my phone and stayed warm and dry (under my poncho I stole from my mom, it was raining out) until about 9:15 came around. Then I checked my bag, which was also extremely organized, and I was on my way over the bridge. This was where the start and finish lines were.



 I wandered around to find another washroom, with no lineup I might add, then headed to my corral in Wave 8. Selfie time!
 It took us a while to get to the start line, but it was finally in sight when the first 7 wave's were gone.
 Then we were off!

The first 3 km were on asphalt before we got  to the Billy Bishop Airport strip. We ran for 2 km up and down the runway and then continued onward. It was pretty neat to be able to see the airplanes take off and land beside you, though not as cool as the Runway Run that i've done, and see the city landscape from a different perspective.

This was when is began to drizzle/rain out. But it didn't bother me. It wasn't a cold rain luckily.We continued to run through the island past the starting line area and continued onto Algonquin Island. There was a slight inclined bridge to get onto it, but i ran up it no problem. I felt good with my pace of 6:45 to 7:30 doing 4 and 1's and was waiting to 'hit the wall'.


After Algonquin Island we travelled through Ward island and passed the 13 KM mark. I knew on my map that once 13 KM was past there is only another 2 km, it would likely be the hardest part, but it was all straight to the finish line.  I passed 13 km and STILL felt pretty good with my pace so I picked it up slightly and enjoyed my wet run down the boardwalk.



14.2 km were done and a girl asked me how much further. I told her only 800 m left and that she could do it, which in turn motivated myself to keep going. Then, I did it. I crossed the finish line. I had the biggest smile on my face because I didn't know if I could or not. I had no proof from prior training as I hadn't gone more than 10 KM before. I walked through the finish line to receive my turquoise Tiffany & Co. box with my pendant in it and I was more than thrilled.




We got bottles of water, apples, and a bag of snack bar's and chips as well. I would have preferred a banana however. There could have been them on the other side though. I love my new Tiffany's jewellery! First ever!


Overall here are my split's. About 2 KM in I had to take a pit stop that cost me about 2:00, but I was quick and in dire need of a loo!

I would absolutely do this run again. But i'd definitely do it with my mom or a friend. It was extremely well organized, there were great race shirts and shirts to buy, and pretty Tiffany's jewellery. I'd much rather that than a medal for a rack. It was a pricey run ($120) but well worth the money. And now I'm motivated, more than ever, to do another race. As well as more sore than ever! Off to the hot tub!

No comments:

Post a Comment