Sunday 7 June 2015

Barrie Waterfront 5km

Today my mom and I ran the Barrie Waterfront 5 KM run. 

One of my worst run's ever. My stomach was crappy, and I regretted only getting up an hour before we left. I really needed more than that to get situated today. But I got my stuff together and headed out the door by 7:45 as planned.

The run began at Heritage Park at 8:30 AM. Along the way I took a pit stop at the Tim's on Dunlop and we continued our way to find free parking just East of The Ranch. We got there minutes before we started our run. In fact I didn't even have time to get my nervous pee out of the way when we got there. I was fine though. So we quickly lined up and were off on our run. Mom was set to do 10 and 1's, and I kept to my 4 and 1's. I should probably progress past that, I know. After next weekend perhaps. 

With my stomach being off, and my leg's beginning to cramp up I told mom good luck and she went off ahead of me. My leg cramps lasted for just under 3 KM, then mostly went away. I really hate leg cramps. I think it's because I was a bit dehydrated from the night before and also because I didn't eat breakfast.

The route for this race was nice. It was a bit chilly, but it warmed up nicely. We ran alongside the waterfront for 2.5 KM, slightly up hill near the end but nothing dramatic, and turned around for the remaining half. At the turnaround point we met up with the 10 KM and half marathon runner's. It was marked to tell who to go where, until the finish line. All of a sudden someone was screaming at you for half-er's to keep right and all others to keep left. It made me feel like I had to make a last minute decision to grab that last brownie before the person behind me grabbed it. I survived to figure out where I was to go, and ran through the finish.

Afterwards, I met up with mom near the washrooms...our usual meeting place if we break away from each other. There were some Clif/Builder Bar's to test (I enjoyed the Mint Chocolate ones!), some Domino's Pizza and some banana's. I obviously opted for the Pizza. Great choice that I will probably pay for tomorrow. Then mom and I headed to go get our Podium cow bell's. When we got there, there was only one left. But that's okay, because who really need's two cowbell's in the Jones' residence?!

Here was a picture of our post-race selfie after.



And here was the medal alongside my bib and race shirt, if you couldn't gather that.


Overall, it was a great race that I would happily do again since it is nice and close. There were only about 400 5 KM runner's. It was small, worthwhile, great route, and reasonably priced. Not amazing shirts, but I really haven't been too great with wearing those lately anyways.



No comments:

Post a Comment