Tuesday 22 July 2014

10 Running Tidbits

1.  FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other?
Well, I haven't really used many of these types of fuel yet. I've only gone a maximum of 10 KM at one time. But of the ones I have tried so far I'd have to say i've taken a liking to the Sport Jelly Beans. My favourite were the berry pomegranate ones (I think, they were burgundy and tasted great!). I'm not a huge fan of the Gu stuff, so my mind has made up, but I will try these out on longer runs. When I get there :)
2.  Race Length: 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other?
I’ve only ever run one 10 KM and 1 5 Miler (8 KM) race. And i'd have to say it really depends on your course. I loved doing my flat 10 KM run but I hated my cart path Angus Glen 5 Miler (8 KM). Partially because the time of day, partially because the hilliness of the course. But I'd still have to say I enjoy running the 10 KM. I haven't ran a 1/2 YET! But I hope to someday!
3.  Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants, or Other?
If it's a bit chilly i'll wear capri's, otherwise I like wearing my spandex-y running shorts. Aka, booty shorts. They are short but the material doesn't gather in-between my legs like my other shorts do. End of story!
4.  Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, you stick to water when you run or Other?
I've occasionally had some gatorade in my water bottles during longer runs, but i've been told NOT to eat gel's at the same time or you might get pains in your stomach. However, i'm a straight water kinda gal.
5.  Running temperatures: HOT or COLD?
COLD! I've run in some hot weather and those are trying runs. But I also have only been running since April so I haven't hit the frozen season yet. 
6.  Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics, or Other?
I LOVE the colours that Nike brings out in their styles of shoes but I've been fitted for Brook's shoes and I LOVE them. They are a bit wider and make my feet happy when I run. However, once I hit the 8 KM mark occasionally my toes go a bit achy/tingly at the negative space underneath them. Not quite sure why this is yet!
7.  Pre-Race Meal: Oatmeal. Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other?
Probably oatmeal, because I know it isn't too heavy nor will it bother my stomach. However, and I hate to say this, I'm a 'don't eat before you go anywhere or do anything' kinda gal due to my stomach issues. 'No food in your stomach, no problems' is kind of how I think of it mentally. If i'm really hungry I'd maybe say some cereal or toast with PB.
8.  Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or Other?
I used to try and go every other day, or every day if I could handle it. However, lately with my stomach acting up I've been trying to go whenever I feel I can. But I'd like to run at least every other day if I could.
9.  Music: Have to have it or go without it?
HAVE to have it! It keeps me going, even if it is background music. A bunch of country, a few 'Rock My Run' mixes, some high intensity beats, a mumble jumble of all that really. But I definitely have never run without any music. I think I'd get bored if I didn't have it!
10.  #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or other?
I'm someone who thrives off of prizes, sadly, and I love the idea of doing health things for my body. So, I'd have to say that I love the whole race idea (even though it stresses my stomach out)! I have yet to use running as a form of stress relief or weight loss. So probably a mix between loving to race and doing it to better my health. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment