Sunday 11 May 2014

Race Report: Sporting Life 10 KM 2014

I DID IT!

Yeah to some it may seem like not a huge deal, but I think it's pretty cool that I completed my first ever 10 KM race!

Here is how my race went and all of the details.
I set my alarm for 5:45 am, to give my stomach enough time to wake up properly. Luckily I didn't have any funny business going on inside my stomach so I set off on the road at about 7:20. I got into Toronto around 8:10 and parked near Lawrence Park. I didn't have to pay for it and it WAS legal! Lol. After I parked I started making my way to the start line. As you walk all you see is a sea of green shirts! I began to regret not wearing mine almost! Next time, I will!


I had a lot of time to spare so I took a trip into the Sporting Life store (which they have actually washrooms instead of port-a-potties! Noted for next time!). They have so much stuff in that store! Good thing I didn't have my wallet on me at the time! Anyways, At about 8:40 I started making my way into my corral. The thing that I really liked was that there were washrooms everywhere! I was stressed that there wouldn't be enough but they definitely did a great job at having enough!

So I got situated in my corral and enjoyed the moment!


Next thing you know the race had began. There is a slight incline at the beginning of the race but it is mainly downhill. It was great! I definitely plan on doing this race again next year! Near the end it seemed to never end with the loops and winds, but I was able to do it. And in 1:07:18 nonetheless! It's a PB for me so far, because it's only the second time i've ever actually ran 10 K! I attempted to do it in 2 and 1's, but I was just doing the run to complete it. Next time i'll try something else. I through enjoyed it. 

When we got to the end we were sent along a winding path and collected our medals. I'm so glad I went to this race alone because I would have NEVER found my family it seems! I grabbed a CLIF chocolate and PB bar (not too shabby!) and went along my way. They never called me to the stage to receive a price unfortunately ;) But Jen from BT Television was there so that was kinda cool to see her!


After that I made my way into the harbour/CNE parking where they had shuttles run us up to Union Station. Super helpful! The lineup for the shuttles seemed to be forever ending, but the lineup went fast. It was well worth the wait instead of walking 3 KM back. Fewf! And that was the race! I'm proud to have done my first race! I can't wait to do one with a friend or family member. I know my mom would have loved to be here (she's on vacation) but it was a great first experience nonetheless. 

Here is a closer look at my bling:


I hope everyone else had a great race and that my little part of raising some money for Camp Ooch helped. This run was ran in memory of Shawn Fenner.


No comments:

Post a Comment