Sunday 7 September 2014

Parkinson's SuperHero 5 Km run

Today I got up and ran 5 km with the Parkinson's Superwalk/SuperHero Run. It was $35 to sign up, you can get a registration reimbursement and run for free if you raise over $150, and donations go toward Parkinson's research. A friend of mine has early onset Parkinson's disease so I thought it would be a great cause to run for aside from being a ton of fun! 

I decided to throw on a costume for the fun of it and dressed as Superman. Costumes were encouraged I might add!
A quick trip to Walmart for the t-shirt for $10, a red poncho from dollarama and some red sparkly stars was all it took to do the trick! I give my friend Meghan some credit for the help!! 

I picked up my race kit the morning of as we weren't able to so it any earlier. With my race kit I received a tech tshirt and some goodies!! I loved the shirts because they were green and looked like the Incredible Hulk was trying to rip through my chest. There were several activities for te kids to participate in, making this a family fun event. At one of the tables in the park you were able to fill out who you were running for to receive a Parkinson's Superhero cape. I obviously did this because who doesn't love a good cape! Today I ran for Victor. :)

The run was really fun! It was a 5 km loop with an out and back at the end. And a HUGE hill at the end I might add. But I did it. And in 35:41. (http://rrresults.com/results/021.Parkinson5K.2014.htm) Not a PB by any means but it was a good run and we had fabulous weather! I ran the whole way with my superman cape on. I secretly think it got me to the finish. Lol. 

At the end of the race we got finishers medals, freezies, and nice water bottles. For lunch we were provided with  a 6" sub from subway! 

Overall this was a great race! It was the first Parkinson's  SuperHero race and I am so glad I got to be a part of it. They did great with the organization of it all! I plan on doing it again next year. And watch out for my costume! I've got a year to prepare now!

Here was the finishers medal:



No comments:

Post a Comment