Saturday 15 August 2015

CarrotFast with my better half

So today my boyfriend and I took the plunge into running a race together. It was a local and fun 5 KM run in our hometown on a muggy and cloudless Saturday morning. Last night my mom picked up our fabulous race kits from the Newmarket Running Room and the shirts were much better than previous years.

Take a look at what was in our bags:


This morning's race began at 9:00 at the Bob Fallis Arena in Bradford, ON. We got there a little later than anticipated, around 8:30 and the road had already been closed. So we parked on Artesian and walked over. The race began at the Arena and went south down the 10th Sideroad to Artesian, up artesian to the 8th Line to a turn around point and straight back to the Arena. It was a flat run which was nice, but there was NO shade relief! Pick your battles?! 
Doug and I started off a little quick, with about a 5:55 pave, well above my 6:30 avg pace. I thought I could keep up with it but about 2.5 KM in I knew I couldn't. I started to slow down and Doug was energetic and motivated. Lol. He stuck with me for 3.5 KM and then I encouraged him to try finish better than I and go ahead without me. His goal was to beat my mom and he continued on as I took multiple walk breaks to the finish. I didn't do terribly since we started faster than anticipated. When I got to the finish he ran with me through the finish line again. (What a good guy :)) Here was our post run selfie!


My overall time was 34:04. My PB time is 33:35, so it wasn't that far off. I could have definitely done better had I known and maybe kept with it. But there's always room for improvement :) It was well run this year, so i'm told. I only wish there were medals for everyone. I'm all about the bling baby!!! But this time I was all about running with my handsome guy. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment